My grandmother made the best meatloaf I have ever tasted but I can almost assure you every part of it was as unhealthy as you could be, so we recreated it as best we could with a healthy spin by using lean ground turkey and quinoa.
Turkey Meatloaf with QuinoaPrint This
- 1 Lb Ground Turkey
- 1/4 Cup Quinoa (Uncooked)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Small Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Worcestershire
- 1 Tsp of Water
Pre-Heat Oven to 350°F
- Cook 1/4 cup of quinoa per the package directions + a dash of olive oil during the cooking process to keep the quinoa dry and unstuck. Set aside to cool. Cold quinoa will keep from cooking the raw ground turkey once it is added to the mixture.
- Saute onions until translucent then add 2 minced cloves of garlic and cook for another minute. Set aside to cool.
- Mix 1lb of ground turkey with cooled quinoa, onions and garlic in a large bowl.
- Add the egg, 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tbsp of sriracha, salt and pepper to the bowl with the turkey and proceed to mix thoroughly. (Your hands will work best here).
- Place a sheet of foil in a loaf pan to cover the bottom and sides and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the mixture into the loaf pan and press to fill the sides of the pan.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes while you create the top spread.
- In a bowl combine the 2 tsp of Worcestershire, 1 tbsp of brown sugar, 1 tsp of water, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Remove the loaf from the fridge and spread the topping evenly over the top of the loaf.
- Spread the remaining 1 tbsp of tomato paste over the top of the loaf to create a crust of flavor during cooking.
- Fold the foil loosely over the top of the loaf without touching the meatloaf with the foil.
- Cook the meatloaf in a pre-heated over at 350°F until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F (about 45-50 minutes).
- Using the sides of foil which lined your loaf pan, remove the foil and the loaf out of the pan and set on a cooling rack.
- Poke a few holes with a fork in the top of the meatloaf and pour the remaining liquid from the pan into the holes.