We love lasagna and never turn down a chance to use our cast iron skillet, so when this recipe came by we had to try it! Its simple and only takes 30 minutes!
30 Minute Skillet LasagnaPrint This
- 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound 85/15 ground beef
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 8 'oven ready' lasagna noodles
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup (7.5 oz) ricotta cheese
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet (12″), saute onions over medium-high heat in olive oil just until translucent.
- Add in beef and Italian sausage. Crumble and cook meat until browned well. Drain off fat.
- Add in lasagna noodles that have been broken into pieces.
- Pour on top: crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10 minutes WITHOUT stirring! After 10 minutes, carefully remove lid and stir. Add in salt, sugar and garlic powder. Mix well and separate any noodles stuck together. Replace lid and cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After the second 10 minutes is up, turn off heat, remove lid, stir well and again separate any stuck noodles.
- Sprinkle oregano over top and dollop spoonfuls of the ricotta cheese over top. Replace lid and let rest for 5 minutes.
- When the ricotta is melted, sprinkle the mozzarella on top and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes just to melt and brown the cheese.
- Let rest again for a few minutes and serve. Serves 6 well. Enjoy!
**If you are using the NON-oven ready noodles (the ones you must cook first before making a traditional lasagna), keep the same amount of noodles, add an additional 1/2 cup water and another 5-10 minutes on the cooking time.